Tuesday, 20 December 2011

waiting

last night i drank a little too much
and i told him. (yet again. i know, i know)

yeah.

i think it's okay.
i think i'm okay.
i hung out with him today and things felt normal. pleasant.
i didn't feel the overwhelming urge to make a fool of myself or proclaim my love.
i didn't want to kiss him or ask him why he didn't love me back.
i just wanted to hang out with my friend - and that was nice. i've been missing that. lately i'd been building up our every interaction as something exciting and remarkable and life-changing. every minute with him was a minute to be recorded and replayed whenever he wasn't there.
today was a nice day. we had fun. we hung out. and that was that.


did we spark the way we usually do? hmm, maybe not. we were us still, but i think a small element of the 'us-ness' was missing. and i'm pretty certain that this element was me. or rather my eagerness to be brilliant and entertaining and lovable at every turn.
i don't know how i'm supposed to feel at the moment. i mean, obviously i still love him. but the quality of that love has already begun to change.
i'd experienced this same feeling earlier on when we'd been on prac for a few weeks. absence made the heart grow forgetful. i was comfortable not hearing from him for a few days at a time. if he was online, i didn't feel compelled to talk. i didn't update my LAG folder on a daily basis.
but then he got back and we started spending time together again. i remembered how amazing he was with my family and how much i loved his. i remembered how much we had in common, what good company he was, how pretty his eyes were (shut up, i'm not gushing). and it all just flared up again - like a rash. an itchy, uncomfortable, bright-red rash that was just so irresistable that i just had to scratch it.
but now that he's rejected me (again!), i can feel myself re-entering that lull. and i'm wondering if this is a coping thing: letting my feelings fall dormant until my heart seems to have forgotten the last assault. i don't have any answers right now, just a million questions.
the paramount one being this:
how?
how did i let myself get here again? what happened to make me go "hmm, you know that boy who definitely isn't in love with you? have you considered giving him another go?"
someone smart told me that i should let myself mope for a bit.
i should be allowed to feel like shit and accept that i have feelings. i'm a person and i deserve to be as pathetic as i need to be in order to move on.
i can already feel myself closing up again though. i can feel myself shutting it out as something that happened because i let myself get carried away. i let myself hope.
and my natural reaction to this is to not hope. to not feel.
i've let myself be miserable for weeks - but i did have some degree of control over the situation. i hadn't told him. i was the one in control of the situation by virtue of the fact that i was keeping my feelings to myself. and that hurt, and it sucked. but it was up to me. i knew i could end that misery any time by letting him know how i felt and releasing the pressure.

now i've done that.
so if i let myself be miserable now, i don't know when that might end. i don't have any control in this situation. the idea of being retrospectively miserable - of moping at a situation that i have no control over - is scary. i don't know when i'll feel better. i don't know how to make that change come about. it feels like some waiting game.
it feels like godot.
i don't know what i'll be waiting for. i don't know how relief will manifest itself. i don't know how long it will take. i don't know if it will come at all.
so the idea of not walking down that road is a much more attractive prospect.


this blog isn't really here to communicate a point or a thought or an 'answer'.
these are just my fears.

4 comments:

  1. I'm not going to tell you that it's okay and it gets better... because it will... but right now it's shit. And you're allowed to be hurt and upset and hate everything with a penis. Just as long as you know that I'm here when it's shit, and I'm here when it's not. Friendship. I think that's how it works.

    I was surprised at how much of myself I saw in this post. Particularly, absence makes the heart grow forgetful. I'm fairly sure that I am a very clingy, codependent kind of person. But... then I flip. And there might not be any real reason for it. But I stop caring that I haven't spoken to them for a week, two weeks, a month...

    I think it's why I have so much trouble keeping in contact with people, and why none of my friendships really seem to last. I forget how important they were to me, because the new person seems so amazing and unlike any other, when I'm sure that they probably aren't, and they're the same feelings that I've had a dozen times over.

    Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think that this is more common than people like to let on, to be honest
    nobody wants to be the one to say - oh, sorry i haven't kept in touch. you just stopped mattering to me.
    but sometimes that's true.
    when people aren't a constant presence in our lives - when we don't rely on them anymore - it can be all to easy to not mind so much if they drift away.
    i think i've been pretty fortunate in that some of the people who have drifted out of my life have drifted back in
    and i think that's how i know that someone's a keeper. if they can stand the test of time and keep on a regular rotation of importance, with only occasional drifts into obscurity
    so yes.
    i think it's not at all unusual

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the comments posted... but I have to say, the phrase 'Rotation of Importance' sounds awfully robotic.

    ReplyDelete